I first posted this video on my old blog, “Ukelear Radiation”, on 12 Feb 2014 (see link below). Now, three years on, what did the future hold?
- Much more time than I expected spent on writing songs than making fancy video slideshows for YouTube
- A song-writing collaboration that has challenged and accelerated my writing, playing and performance skills
- Branching out from playing local open mics to performing at ukulele festivals
- Learning to play bass guitar, playing with a regular band
- Organising a “Strum on The Tyne” as part of the “Crossing the Tyne Festival”
- Still very much enjoying Ukes4Fun sessions and organising Ukulele Workshops and Events at The Cumberland Arms
Three years ago I was just counting my blessings that I was still alive, recovering from a glancing wielded by the Grim Reaper and still very poorly. I am still counting those blessings and still giving thanks that we have the NHS in the UK.
I was very sad to have to retire as a Speech and Language Therapist in 2015, due to residual long-term health problems. It was very difficult to “move on” as my sense of self was so tied up with “being a Speech and Language Therapist”. I remain fascinated by all aspects of speech, language, voice and communication and I cannot imagine that that will change.
What brings me such joy now is the fun, challenge and creative expression afforded by song writing, playing music, singing and performing. Communication of another sort.
Creating opportunities for others through workshops and events? Something else that was part of my life for over 30 years and that I still enjoy doing.
Three years on and I am starting to get a little bit more comfortable about describing myself as a “singer songwriter”. It still seems rather presumptuous but it is what I spend most of my time doing now – and I just love it!
Mystic Moonshine – Ukulele Original – Liz Panton True story – names and locations changed ever so slightly to protect the guilty! Very pleased with myself that I managed to write it the morning of 1st January 2013 and then performed it the same afternoon at Strings Attached Folk Club – a good start to […]